Friday 6 March 2015

Happy 15th Birthday Shiver, Years and Years and Ed Sheeran


Hi, wow, what a busy week! So much has happened this week, I just simply have not had a minute to spare - which explains why the layout still looks like it does… sorry about that. Anyway, I'm here as promised on Friday with lots to talk about.

Firstly, I’d like to say happy birthday to one of my favourite songs, Shiver by Coldplay. For those of you who don’t know, Shiver was one of Coldplay’s first tracks and it was released back on 6th March 2000 - which makes it 15 today (almost the same age as me funnily enough). Anyway, I’m not going to go on and on about how Shiver’s an “atmospheric” alternative rock song and one of Coldplay’s “finest works” anything like that; I’m just going to say that it’s a good song and you should go listen to it. What I will say though is, compared to Yellow, (the more popular track from the album Parachutes - which Shiver was released on) it’s more tuneful and personally, I like it slightly better but that’s just personal preference. Give them both a listen and tell me what you think in the comments :) If you don’t like either, being a Coldplay fan, I have Magic up my sleeve ;) (Coldplay joke… you get it?... oh you do… oh… moving on...) Sticking with the Parachutes theme, from all the various people over the years that I have tried to convert to Coldplay, I have learnt that those who don’t like Yellow, tend to like Shiver; and those who don’t like Shiver tend to like these next two tracks: Don’t Panic and Trouble. These two tracks are much more relaxed than the previous two. Don’t Panic has a kinda acousticy vibe to it (“vibe”? seriously... sorry about that…) and Trouble just has a nice piano a part and being a pianist I like songs with nice piano parts :).

I wasn’t actually going to talk to you about just Coldplay today, so if you just read that paragraph and were thinking “I really hate Coldplay” firstly, have you recently suffered a blow to the head (hehehe I’m only kidding) and secondly, I apologise, I am moving on now - as hard as it is for me.

Each week, as part of the regular blog, I’ll talk about an artist, a track/song and an album each week and give it a rating out of 12 just because that’s a nice number and ten would be boring ;) and then I’ll end with a list of 10 tracks that are on my playlist this week. (However, each month, I’ll tell you about a book, a film and all the other stuff just because I hear more songs and albums each month than the other things I’m going to talk about in this blog. I’ll also tell you a little bit about my life from time to time if you’re interested but to be honest with you I don’t really do anything that interesting, but I’ll keep you posted anyway. I think that clears that up because I just read my last post and that was really not very clear.)

The artist I wanted to talk about this week was Ed Sheeran and in particular, his performance at the Brits. I was going to mention this last week, but I got so hung up on layouts (of all things) that I ran out of time. Anyway, if you missed it on the TV, it was pretty amazing. Many of you will know that he tends just to perform by himself on stage, but he uses a loop pedal to lay down the tracks in front of you to make it seem like there are several people playing. That by itself is very impressive, but combined with his talent and showmanship, it’s creates a flawless performance (how cheesy was that sentence). At the Brits last week he performed Bloodstream, live, which is from his latest album X or Multiply (the track has recently been re-released featuring Rudimental - I don’t really the re-release as much as the original just because it has such a heavy beat which is a little oppressive but it’s still about a 7/12 because it’s quite energising in a strange sort of way because of the frantic drum beat towards the end if you have to go somewhere early or for a run). X is his second “smash-hit” album which features the number one track Thinking Out Loud which has been lingering in the UK charts for almost six months now. When the company that runs the Brit Awards asked which artist the British public wanted most to perform at the ceremony, Ed Sheeran was the most requested by far, so you could say that he’s pretty popular. ;)

The Brits as a whole were pretty good. Taylor Swift opened the ceremony, then there were some awards then Sam Smith (who was wonderful ftr), then there were some more awards, and George Ezra (who I am a very big fan of) then some more awards. I was just casually sitting down eating my dinner when this quiet little intro starts, building up, and building up and building up until the chorus kicks in (see what I did there? wow these are getting worse). That’s when I knew I had to talk about Ed Sheeran this week. If I haven’t convinced you to go listen to it yet, perhaps the fact that over 5.8 million people already have, so go listen to it. If I had to rate his performance I'd have to give it a very high 11/12.
On to album. This week I’m going to tell you about an album that came out a few weeks ago: American Beauty/American Psycho. I’ve been playing this album on repeat... until I fall asleep (if you got that reference I’m impressed, we’re now friends :) - not that we weren’t in the first place... I really am putting the pro in procrastination today… yep just gonna get worse from here). Fall Out Boy actually changed their tune (ha... ha… ha... just hilarious…) a little with this album. If you’re familiar with their earlier albums, Folie a deux or Infinity on High or even Save Rock and Roll then you might be shouting at the screen right now "I KNOW RIGHT" (or possibly not, then we've reached an awkward crossroad haven't we...) Now this is the point where you either love me or hate me. I kinda like it. Please don’t kill me. Yes, I know it doesn’t make me a true Fall Out Boy fan and I don’t claim to be. Alright, so it’s a little less heavy and a little more mainstream, but you know what, I don’t mind. As long as they’re happy with it, I’m happy with it.

If you haven’t heard the album yet, can I suggest you don’t go and listen to the first track they released straight away. Centuries was the lead track from the album and went to number 10 and all that but to be honest there are some better tracks on the album. Centuries was a little forced - I do agree with some of the comments that Fall Out Boy could have picked a better track to lead with. Next came Immortals, which featured in Big Hero Six, which I kinda want to see now - if you’ve seen it, leave me a comment, is it good? Immortals was also not the greatest track from the album in my personal opinion, and it seems that quite a few agree. There is a glimmer of traditional Fall Out Boy in the chorus but it’s kinda drowned in the opening which I think is a little messy. They then released Irresistible, and now we’re talking. I was a little worried at first, when I heard the trumpet opening, but it actually kind of works. I think it really opens the album well. When we get to the line "I love the way you hurt me" I knew I was going to like this song - this was going to be a great album. It's definitely up there with one of my favourite Fall Out Boy songs. I’d also recommend taking a look at American Beauty/American Psycho (the song), The Fourth of July and Favorite Record. These three songs really epitomise (good word there *pats self on back*) what the album’s all about (bad phrase there *face palm*). Anyway, my point is this is a really great album, and although it’s kind of a little pop, a little rock, and some of the tracks do let it down a little, I still like it and for that I’m going to give it a 9.5/12.

Years and Years. Years and Years is not a reference to how long it has taken me to work out how to use WordPress; they are in fact a band. If you haven’t heard of them, they’re a popular beat combo from London (that’s an old joke… look it up). Seriously though, Years and Years are an a electro pop trio who are rapidly gaining in fame. King is I think their sixth single and is set to be a big hit this week, which is why it’s my track of the week - see logical :) Anyways, I like it. It has a catchy, albeit slightly repetitive opening and a nice chorus. They kind of remind me a little of Clean Bandit who I absolutely adore, and I'm not really sure why... there's no violin or anything... I think it's the kind of electronic sounding parts in between the chorus' and verses. Also, you should go listen to their acoustic sessions. To be honest, I kind of like them slightly more than some of their pre-recorded tracks. The acoustic version of Take Shelter is great to wind down to at the end of the day. I’m going
to give King 8/12, just because the riff does get a little repetitive after a while and I would have liked a little more of a bass line, but it's still a great track. You can tell that this group have a lot of talent.
Here are my ten tracks for this week. I kind of tried to pick quite calming songs, just because so much seems to be going on at this time. Having said that, I did pick Mayday Parade... Yeah... never mind.
  1. Way in the World - Nina Nesbitt
  2. End of Me - A Day To Remember
  3. When You See My Friends - Mayday Parade
  4. Syndicate - The Fray
  5. Baba O'Riley - The Who
  6. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
  7. Chocolate - The 1975
  8. Shattered - Trading Yesterday
  9. Taxi Cab - Twenty One Pilots
  10. This Charming Man - The Smiths
It's pretty late now, so I'm going to have to leave it here. Leave a like if you enjoyed and tell me what you think in the comments below. Sorry it turned out so long.

See you next Friday,

Mxx

Update: I've linked everything in a different colour so you can take a look at some of the things I've mentioned if you have no clue what I'm on about. I've also added in the videos at the sides :)

No comments:

Post a Comment